Childhood, Friendships, and Changes

Names have been changed to protect identity in this entry
   Recently, I got news that a childhood friend of mine, Arthur, got married.  I am very happy for him and I'm glad for him finding a young lady that will be with him for better or worse and all that good stuff.
  Arthur and I were the best of friends in our childhood and going on in our teen years, but somewhere it changed once we reached middle school.  I guess it was the fact that we were both hitting puberty and he was into sports and I was a geek and I loved music and church. Now granted at that time we both dated the ladies. Also there were rumors of me being Gay.
  He and I tried to remain friends however, Arthur changed and started hanging around the main people that were those taunting and bullying me.  I remember inviting him to a couple of my birthday cookouts, but he didn't show up and we just grew apart.
  I always felt that because I was suspected of being Gay and partly coming out in high school, that ended our friendship. I wasn't upset about it though.  Throughout my childhood and teenage years, even adulthood, I've gained and lost friends because I've chosen to get the better things in life and also live my truth.
  It is amazing that how people that start out with you in childhood change when you don't fit a norm that society has placed on you for your gender.  As we've emerged into adulthood, Arthur and I have talked and chatted on occasion and talked about what's going on in our lives and how we've met love, lost love, graduated from college and moved to different places.  I guess that's life sometimes. However, I don't fret over a dead friendship.  That gives room for bigger and better friendships to blossom with others.
Smooches,
Musique

Comments

Popular Posts