Being Overlooked Part 1: The Talent
There are times in life in which we are the lead singer and there are times when we are the background singer. If you know anything about the stage, the lead singer is always noticed and is always up in the people's face, while the background is usually behind the singer protected and hidden by the shadows of the stage or even by stage props.
Well being in the background often time causes us to be overlooked. It is not always a good feeling to be overlooked. It can cause us to feel worthless, broken, and like our whole existence is in vain.
Well This is a feeling I've known most of my life. As a singer, student, writer, and now, recording artist, there are times when I feel overshadowed by my peers' success. I may have worked my ass off to get this opportunity, but still things don't always go my way.
I had that unpleasant experience this past weekend at a talent show at a club. My talent was singing the late Sylvester James' "Don't Stop." I sang it in my higher register and slayed. People were running to me all night stating that they loved my talent. Even my assistants and best friends were encouraging me that I would win.
However, after getting a drink or two in my system I had a random stranger say "You did well, but your theatrics were a little too much."
I smiled and thanked him and kept on moving. Well not long after that incident, It was time to decide the talent show case winner.
Of course Yours Truly, The Priestess did not win, but I am happy for the Winners. I'm NEVER a sore loser.
Now I'm not going to lie, I did feel as if my best just wasn't good enough. I came to the point to where I was tired of being on the losing end of the talent show and club gig. Even after the winners were announced it was as if everyone was flocking to the winners and even the judges congratulated them, however they looked me right in the face and didn't even acknowledge me.
I tried my best to shrug it off, but it seem like insult to injury kept coming. Well-known entertainers started coming up to me with constructive, but unwanted advice and some were being shadier than a fucking pine tree.
This made me feel as if my talent of singing and my God given gift was shit.
However, I realized "Yannick, girl you are a recording artist. You are bigger and God has bigger in store for you."
I may have been overlooked this past weekend, but Bitches will have no choice but to see me blow up.

Hang in there, Lil Buddy! Your Big Moment is coming and when it does, it will be not just a moment but a huge, magnificent, glorious fucking Day! Much love, my friend!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I believe my big moment is already here. I just have to focus and let God take the lead.
Delete