Black Folks and Heteronormativity
Let me begin this post about defining Heteronormativity. Heteronormativity is the belief that people fall into distinct and complementary genders (man and woman) with natural roles in life. It asserts that heterosexuality is the only sexual orientation or only norm, and states that sexual and marital relations are most (or only) fitting between people of opposite sexes.
Since I have began my transition from male to female, Heteronormativity has been constantly thrown in my face. I can't help because I am Gay and I refuse to help or get counseling because I am a proud Black Transgender Woman!!! I am a woman with purpose!!!
Since I have began my transition from male to female, Heteronormativity has been constantly thrown in my face. I can't help because I am Gay and I refuse to help or get counseling because I am a proud Black Transgender Woman!!! I am a woman with purpose!!!
Heteronormativity showed up while I was getting my hair styled by my best friend. My uncle opens his transphobic mouth with "why are you getting those braids so long."
My response was "because I want to," and I continue to gab with my best friend. It really pissed me off. For the last year and a half my family aka my dad's side has known that I'm gay and that I am transgender. I guess being in a Fundamentalist Christian Black Family you get hell for not being hypermasculine, straight, and nongender conforming.
The shade with my uncle is that I honest look at how he will be watching a show and there will be something dealing with the LGBT community he'll linger for half and episode and then turn. Then there are times I constantly here comments of disgust that makes me wonder if he isn't a self hating Gay Black man in Denial Himself.
Is is possible that religion and society is responsible for this heteronormativity? YES IT IS!!!
In Christianity and most religions we are taught there are Male and Female and no other genders. However if you look at ethnic groups such as Native Americans, African Culture before White Evangelicals appeared on the scene, There were 3rd and 4th genders and those who were homosexual, bisexual or pansexual where well respected and treated as royality. Do your research people.
Not to mention that many great conquerors such as Alexander the Great had male lovers, but due to society they were forced to marry at a certain age. My My how times have changed.
Now we have people like Kim Burrell bashing the same people that do their hair, change their oil, teach their children. When will the madness end?
It is shameful that it is 2017 and people can't even open up their mind past religion. We have so many people killing themselve because they are in families that push heteronormativity down their LGBT family members throats.
Not to mention that many LGBT Black People tend to mimic heterosexual relationships. My favorite phrase is "no fems," or if you are a top you must be masculine or a bottom you must be fem. How about we just let people be without the labels and learn how to love and accept them as a whole?

Comments
Post a Comment